Howdy, I’m going to give myself a little present this month: the gift of a few weeks off from this update.
December is kinda light on non-Mannheim Steamroller concerts anyway. Plus, I’ll be out of town after Xmas, and before that I need to:
- Hang stockings by the chimney with care
- Make my famous eggnog (1. Pour fifth of rum into punch bowl. 2. Pour carton of eggnog down drain. 3. Enjoy!) and
- Sing carols in the neighborhood (…”our next selection is called ‘Christmas in Hollis’ by Run DMC”…).
OK, let’s get to this merry month of music:
The Get Up Kids play Southgate on Wednesday, bluegrass band Kitchen Dwellers are at Madison Live, and Ludlow Garage has “Scrantonicity” which is described thusly: ‘Scrantonicity’ will feature “The Office” themed trivia, a live DJ, comedian, bar games and costume contest. Specially crafted “Office” themed drinks such as “Mexican Lemoñade” and “Lord, Beer Me Strength” will be on hand for those 21 and over.
On Thursday, Chevelle plays Bogart’s, and George Winston plays a Christmas gig at Ludlow.
On Friday (the 13th)
- Will Kimbrough plays Southgate
- Phantogram is at Bogart’s
- Ricky Nye and Chris Douglas are at Wiedemann
- Goose (not the old local band, the “American Indie-Groove band” from Connecticut that “could be likened to a keg party in the woods on a summer night with all of your closest friends”) plays Madison Theater
- Bonerama (winner of the 2019 band name of the year award) is back at Riverfront Live with Ernie Johnson from Detroit
- Mike Oberst of the Tillers plays Camp Springs Tavern
- Ben Levin is at Arnold’s
On Saturday, the Warsaw Falcons and Ricky Nye play Wiedemann’s, Wonky Tonk plays Camp Springs Tavern, and Sum 41 is at Bogart’s.
Sunday, Bogart’s hosts Angels & Airwaves.
Here’s the rest of the month (and really the first week of 2020, since there are no concerts of note that week):
Jeremy Pinnell plays Southgate’s Revival Room on Monday, 12/16.
Mannequin Pussy is at the Woodward on Wednesday, 12/18, with Kississippi opening.
10,000 Maniacs play Ludlow on Thursday, 12/19. This is the non-Natalie Merchant version, but the rest of the gang is there, including John Lombardo and Mary Ramsey.
On Friday, 12/20, Motherfolk plays “A Very Motherfolk Christmas V” at 20th Century, and local luminaries Over the Rhine kick off three nights of their Acoustic Christmas show (12/20-22).
There are a few interesting Xmas gigs on Saturday, December 21st:
- Chris Knight plays Southgate’s Sanctuary, and the Whiskey Daredevils play a free gig in the Lounge
- Ben Levin & the Heaters play Mansion Hill Tavern
- Gehner Dueling Pianos at Camp Springs Tavern
- Afroman does “Merry Spliffmas” at Riverfront Live
- Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits hosts An Olde English Christmas at Ludlow Garage. We think “Olde English” means classic tunes from Great Britain, but it could mean this:
The aforementioned Mannheim Steamroller are playing a Christmas show on… December 26th? They must be using a different type of calendar, perhaps Julian or MilkingTheChristmasMoneyian. Fun fact: Mannheim founder and Ohio native Chip Davis had a hand in writing that classic CB radio (kids, ask your parents what the hell that was)/trucker tune from 1976 called “Convoy” by the fictional C.W. McCall. I’d rather hear that 20 times in a row than hear bloated neoclassical versions of Xmas tunes.
Clutch plays Bogart’s on Friday, December 27th and Ben Levin plays BrewRiver.
On Saturday, December 28th:
- The Wooks and Kind Country are at Southgate
- Terrapin Flyer plays Ludlow
- local rockers Prizoner play their “final show” at Riverfront Live
- The Poor Hours are at Camp Springs Tavern
Ricky Nye has a solo gig at Wiedemann on Sunday, December 29th… and at the other end of the spectrum, you can “Ratt & Roll into 2020” by seeing Ratt at Bogart’s.
There’s another contrast of styles on New Year’s Eve: you can attend the Drunken Hog NYE party at Riverfront Live featuring Buffalo Wabs & the Price Hill Hustle, Hackensaw Boys and Hickory Robot… or catch GWAR at Bogart’s.
Rumpke Mountain Boys also have a NYE celebration at 20th Century, on both Monday 12/30 and Tuesday 12/31, with different support bands. And Sweet Alice Hoskins plays Dead Low Brewing’s NYE party.
Hot Ticket Alerts (plural)
Chelsea Nolan kicks off Season 2 of the Parlor & Patio house concert series on Saturday, January 11th. Get tickets here.
Bob Mould is playing a solo gig at 20th Century on Sunday, March 22nd. Tickets here.
Robyn Hitchcock will be at Southgate on Sunday, April 26th. Tickets.
Favorite Albums of 2019
If you feel so inclined, you can list your favorites on the discussion board section of this website. That way everyone can see what great taste you have! It’ll also save my lazy ass from having to compile all your submissions into a mega-list. My picks are already on the discussion board, and also below.
The Reading List
KEXP midday DJ Cheryl Waters is battling cancer once again.
2 Replies to “This Month (not week) in Live Music”
Have a great holiday, Damian! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the Dotterweich family!
Thanks LC, you too!