Howdy, gang! You’re probably saying “what’s the buzz, tell me what’s a-happening”… perhaps you’re even singing it…
Well, I’ll tell you what’s a-happening. More live music.
Tomorrow, the Fairmount Girls kick off a four-week Monday residency at MOTR. Tomorrow’s special guest: Slutbomb. Yes, you read that right. Slutbomb.
Wednesday, Dave Mason brings his Feelin’ Alright tour to Memorial Hall for a sold-out show, and Ricky Nye and Matt Wiles play two sets at MOTR.
On Thursday, Daniel Donato plays Southgate’s Revival Room, and River Snout plays Big Ash Brewing.
Friday has a slew of shows:
- Wussy plays the Woodward,with Vacation as the opener. I’ll be at that gig, along with a host of list members.
- Donna the Buffalo stomps into Ludlow Garage.
- The Comet Bluegrass All-Stars are actually playing a different bar: Big Ash Brewing
- The Brook & The Bluff is at Madison Live
- Maurice Mattei & The Tempers play Wiedemann’s Tap Room
- The Harlequins are at Northside Tavern
- Matt Waters & the Recipe play Southgate’s Revival Room
Saturday‘s busy too. Southgate hosts Rock n’ Revival for a Cure – doors at 3, show starts at 3:45.
Other Saturday shows:
- A.J. Croce plays the songs of his father Jim at the Fairfield Community Arts Center. (That show is sold out… but you can get in if your name is Slim or if you are the jealous husband of a Southside Chicago resident named Doris.)
- Ohio Valley Salvage plays Bircus Brewing
- Heavy Hinges and 3 other bands play Urban Artifact
- Hot Magnolias are at Big Ash
- Dave Webster is at Camp Springs Tavern
- The Indiana casino circuit is busy with “heritage” acts: The Little River Band is at the Lawrenceburg (IN) Event Center and Blue Öyster Cult plays Belterra in Florence (Indiana, not KY y’all). B.Y.O.Cowbell.
Last but certainly not least, the Warsaw Falcons play Weidemann on Saturday Night as they celebrate the 70th birthday of local legend David Rhodes Brown. Check out this article about DRB.
On Sunday, Big Ash hosts an Irish Music Jam Session (B.Y.O.Bodhrán) and Geldings play MOTR with El Chapo.
Hot Ticket Alert
The Record Company plays 20th Century Theater on Tuesday, May 19th. Maybe not the hottest of hot tickets, but I thought I’d mention it because 20th Century shows can slip through the cracks.
Hat tip to list member Howard Cohen (of the Cereal Killers) for bringing this article about They Might Be Giants major-label debut Flood to our attention.
Throwing Muses and Archers of Loaf have new music out. Read more about Throwing Muses in Rolling Stone and check out the new tunes below.
Just for Fun
Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers play production assistants to Conan O’Brien… hilarious.
The newest episode of the 97X Rumblings from the Big Bush podcast features an interview with Timothy Hiatt, who was only at 97X for a year back in the late 80s, but has carved out a very cool career as a live music photographer in Chicago. Here are a few of his concert shots:
Have a great week!