I’m listing the concerts out of order this week.
Because the most important gig is on Thursday: Eric Bachmann is playing a house concert at my home.
26 tickets left? Geez, that’s sad. Clearly, I’ve done a piss-poor job of marketing this gig. Did I mention I saw Eric at a house concert in Northside a few years back and it was amazing? It doesn’t really matter if you’re that familiar with his work, you’ll still enjoy the heck out of it… and it’s an early show too, he’ll be on at 8 and done by 9:30. But wait, there’s more… I’m offering my Double D Guarantee: if you aren’t completely satisfied with the show, I’ll refund your $ out of my own pocket. (I make $0 off this show, it’s booked by Undertow and they manage the cash.) Here’s a Spotify playlist of EB tunes, from Archers of Loaf to Crooked Fingers to his solo work. Tell your friends, Romans and countrymen about this show. Because right now, I’m the new Artie Fufkin.
OK, enough pitiful pimpin’. Back to the other shows this week. On Tuesday, Sarah McLachlan will be at Rose Music Center with a full orchestra.
Wednesday, Hibou is at MOTR with Dark Colour and Culture Queer, Jon Bellion is at PNC Pavilion and The Mowgli’s are playing Taft Ballroom. (Don’t ask me why they have an apostrophe in their name… maybe it’s a tribute to Frank Zappa.)
Thursday, you really, really, really should be at my shack for the Eric Bachmann house concert. But I’m contractually obligated to mention that the Legendary Shack Shakers are at Southgate, with JD Pinkus (Butthole Surfers).
Friday is a big evening for live music. Many list members will be at the Beck/Cage the Elephant/Spoon/Wild Belle show at Riverbend. And for good reason – that’s a killer lineup. (Of course, with Riverbend’s ironclad 11 p.m. curfew, you’ll get short sets… even though the show starts at 6.) However, there are several other gigs that evening:
- Cloud Nothings are headlining the free show at Fountain Square
- Steel Drivers and the Steep Canyon Rangers are playing Riverfront Live (old Annie’s)
- Joan Osborne is singing the songs of Bob Dylan (Perhaps you’ve heard of him? Some folks call him the poor man’s Eric Bachmann) at Memorial Hall
- The Sunburners and the Cliftones are playing a free gig at Sawyer Point (6-10 pm)
- John Cusack was supposed to be at Taft for a screening of Say Anything and a Q&A… but it’s not listed on the Taft Theatre site anymore. Maybe his boombox batteries died.
- The Harlequins are playing MOTR
- Last but certainly not least, legendary local band Cereal Killers will be playing the Holy Cross/Immaculata church festival in Mt. Adams starting at 7 p.m. I’ll be at that gig. Admission is free, but you know you won’t be able to resist playing some Bars & Bells, so pack your wallet accordingly.
On Saturday, UB40 is at Riverfront Live and the Ben Levin Trio is at the Overlook Kitchen + Bar at the Summit Hotel. You also have your choice of two spoofy names, but just one spoof band: Mac Sabbath is playing Woodward Theater and Def Leggend (‘the world’s greatest tribute to Def Leppard’) is at Bogart’s. The Cincy Summer Beerfest at Smale Park will feature some live tunes, too.
Sunday, the Camp Springs Tavern hosts an open bluegrass jam (as they do every first Sunday of the month) at 3:30. Blacktop Mojo is at Madison Live, and Kool Keith is rockin’ the Northside Tavern.
That’ll do it for gigs this week. Hope to see you Thursday. And Friday.