I’m playing catch-up…
So this week’s rundown of gigs ’round town will be short and sweet. Like a ketchup packet.
But without the high fructose corn syrup.
Tomorrow night, Ladysmith Black Mambazo plays Memorial Hall.
Sam Weber is at Southgate on Wednesday.
Thursday, Gangstagrass will be wafting into the Ludlow Garage.
Flying Underground and Paige Beller play a free show at MOTR, and The Way Down Wanderers are at Southgate.
On Friday, Billy Strings kicks off two nights of shows at the Cindy Brady Icon Music Center. List member Michael Orzali will be there both nights. That sort of devotion explains why both gigs are sold out.
Also on Friday:
- Kasim Sultan’s Utopia plays Ludlow Garage.
- Angela Perley and Megan Wren are at Southgate
- Shiner plays the Woodward Theater
- Mol Sullivan and Carriers are at MOTR
- Ben Levin plays Dead Low Brewing with special guest Lil’ Jimmy Reed
Saturday is Yolo time… wait, check that, it’s Yola.
She’s at the Taft.
Also on Saturday:
- All Them Witches play the Woodward.
You know Gladys Kravitz will be at that gig.
- Billy Strings is back at the Jan Brady Icon Music Center
- Ace Frehley of KISS plays the Lawrenceburg Event Center
- This Pine Box headlines a three-band bill (Thomas & the Work-men, Street Limes) at MOTR
- Ben Levin and Lil’ Jimmy Reed shift to Lucius Q
- McGuffey Lane is at the Ovation
- New Edition is at the Coliseum… I think the last time they were actually a NEW edition was when these guys were around:
On Sunday, The Regrettes play the Taft Ballroom, with Kississippi as the opener… that’s a nice double bill. That same evening, Henry Rollins is at Bogart’s (it’s a spoken word tour) and comedian John Mulaney does his thing at the Coliseum.
And if you’re an early riser, you can catch Ben Levin & Lil’ Jimmy Reed at the Hard Rock Casino at 10:30 a.m. That’s Eastern Daylight Time… ‘cuz we spring forward in the wee small hours of the morning.
The forecast calls for more shows
The summer scene is heating up. Recently announced shows include Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Blondie (with The Damned!), Lumineers, The Chicks (with Patty Griffin!) and Idles. Also, RiversEDGE in scenic Hamilton will be hosting David Shaw’s two-day Big River Get Down:
We mentioned Lucius Q earlier in this post. Aaron Sharpe, that dining establishment’s co-owner, was a longtime staffer at WNKU-FM… and he’s the latest interview
victim subject in the 97X Rumblings from the Big Bush podcast. Check it out here.
Dueling Album Covers of the Week
We’re diggin’ the 50s TV show vibe of Teresa, but Vivienne!! has a great 70s TV commercial style. I bet she soaked her nails in Palmolive.