What up, playa?
Speaking of players, let’s see who’s playing this week.
- Steep Canyon Rangers are at Annie’s
- Soul Pocket headlines the free show on Fountain Square
- Tower of Power and Lettuce play the Rose Music Center
- Sleigh Bells play the Taft. (It may seem early for sleigh bells but I had a pumpkin beer last night so all bets are off.)
- Lany is at the Bobby Brady.
- The Zac Brown Band and the Robert Randolph Band play Riverbend.
- The Spinners play Ludlow Garage.
- Local band The Newbees have a free show at Fernbank Park (7-9 p.m.)
- Ziggy Marley does a tribute to his father at Rose. (Note: this is much better than his tribute to the comic strip Ziggy.)
And Southgate will have something called “Super Satan Fest II – Live as Hell”
On Sunday, Boz Skaggs and The Robert Cray Band are at Rose, and Southgate House hosts a matinee benefit show for Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief:
Monday, it’s the “uplifting band name” trifecta: Anthrax, Black Label Society and Hatebreed at the Mike Brady.
- Wilco plays the Ovation
- The Beach Boys and the Temptations are at PNC Pavilion
- Lake Street Dive plays the Marsha Brady. The following evening, they’ll be at the Rose.
Other Wednesday shows:
- Kid Rock is at Riverbend.
- Yngwie “Can I buy a vowel, Pat” Malmsteen is at Ludlow Garage
- Accordionist Sally Lukasik plays an early gig at Baker’s Table Bakery. I normally don’t mention accordion shows, but Sally just seems so darn happy in her promo photo:
- River Whyless is at Southgate
- The Surfragettes (yes, a surf rock band, how’d you guess?) play Ludlow Garage
- Alicia Keys works the keys at PNC
- The Dead Man String Band and Ray Vietti do the free gig at Washington Park
- Bam Powell & the Troublemakers play an equally free show at Behringer-Crawford Museum in Covington
- Chris Stapleton is at Riverbend
- The Del McCoury Band plays Memorial Hall
- Al Stewart is at Ludlow Garage
- The two-night Whimmydiddle Festival kicks off at RiversEDGE in Hamilton with Shovels & Rope as the headliner
Normally when you hear “shovels and rope” and “Hamilton” in the same sentence, it’s about a crime scene.
Distant Early Warning
Since list member Michael “Rico” Carrico gave me so much grief for not mentioning the last Ian Noe show at Southgate (which, it should be noted, Rico did NOT attend), I need to let you “Noe” that Ian has another Southgate gig lined up for December 16th.
Oh, and please consider playing in — or making a donation to — the Kevin Carrico Memorial Golf Scramble on 10/1. (Rico is Kevin’s brother.)
Kevin Carrico was in his third year of medical school at the University of Louisville, studying to become a pediatric oncologist, when he was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma. His goal was to help children as they faced their battle with cancer, just as he did after he overcame Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at the age of 17. Kevin faced his battles with a sense of humor and a positive attitude like only he could. Although Kevin passed away in 2019 at the age of 25, we have vowed to carry on his legacy. The University of Louisville awarded Kevin a posthumous doctorate of medicine in 2020, and he received the Dr. Presley F. Martin Award, given to the senior student chosen by his peers who possesses and reflects characteristics of a good physician: competence, ethical behavior, leadership, compassion, and humor. Our mission is to carry on Kevin’s legacy to aid other young adults that have faced cancer and are pursuing higher education goals. Our proceeds are allocated 100% to our scholarship program.
Reason #3,698 of why I love Wussy
On their most recent FB livestream (which is reason #2,294 of why I love them!), Lisa posed a question about “who are your three favorite vocalists?” Check out Chuck and Mark waxing poetic about a band that I also happen to love dearly:
Album Covers (plural) of the Week
I’m sure you remember former ACotW star Woody Woodbury:
Well, Woody has some competition in the “party albums of the 50s and 60s” category.
If it turns out that list member Lisa Collins’ mom is also breakfast buddies with Rusty, we’re going to have to stage an intervention.
Have a great week, baby!