Can’t go wrong with that gif, amiright? Let’s get to the tunes.
Monday is a holiday for most folks… including touring bands, it appears. Also, please note that the Yola show originally slated for Tuesday in the Taft Ballroom has been rescheduled for Sunday, June 14 due to “unforeseen scheduling conflicts.”
On Tuesday, Cheryl Renee plays Bluesday Tuesday at Arnold’s and the Mynah Tones play the Comet.
On Wednesday, Grace Potter plays a nocturnal show (without the Nocturnals) at Taft Theater. Mipso is at the Woodward Theater, with Bridget Kearney (of Lake Street Dive) and Benjamin Lazar Davis (of Okkervil River) as openers. There are a couple of notable local gigs on Wednesday also:
- Ben Levin plays the Phelps/Residence Inn downtown. List member Howard Cohen has informed me that it’s a Great Lakes Brewing Company Pint Night from 5-8, featuring Dortmunder Gold Lager, Conway’s Irish Ale, and the new beast in town, Bierwolf Dunkelweizen. A tasting flight is only $10. Ben plays starting at 5:30.
- List member Mark Celsor’s band Left of Center is opening for the Blue Eyed Bettys at Urban Artifact. Mark doesn’t work for a beer company, but he will work for beer.
Thursday, 20th Century Theater hosts An Evening with Mike Gordon, he of Phish Phame. All those smelly hippies in Oakley should bring housing prices down at bit.
On Friday, Turkuaz plays Madison Theater, Shiny Old Soul is at Big Ash Brewing, Todd Lipscomb is at Arnold’s and Ben Levin plays BrewRiver.
- Olivia Jean plays Southgate’s main room, and Ben Levin is in the Lounge
- Noah Wotherspoon plays a gig at Band of Helping Hands in Covington
- KY Myle is at Camp Springs Tavern
- Fretboard hosts ‘Nati Dread Day, with the Quasi Kings as headliners.
On Sunday, The Comet Bluegrass All-Stars play… The Comet.
That’s list member Dale Doyle (the original D2!) on the right, hanging in Cali with Matt Berninger of The National (in a 97X t-shirt!). Dale is doing the artwork/design for Matt’s solo album. The story of how these two hooked up is pretty cool – you can read it on the website here.
Hot Ticket Alerts
Ludlow is hosting “a night of music and conversation with Rodriguez” on Valentine’s Day. Paul Thorn is coming to Memorial Hall on Saturday, May 2nd (Derby Day!) with Angela Perley as the opener.
The most recent episode of the “97X Rumblings from the Big Bush” podcast features Rob Ervin, who worked at 97X, co-hosted the Chris & Rob Late Night Talk Show on WAIF for years, and worked on the Gary Burbank Show for a decade-plus. You can listen on the website here, or catch all the episodes on Spotify, Apple Music or Podbean.
Oh, and if you enjoyed the annual 97X “Modern Rock 500” countdown back in the day, a listener crunched the data from each year of the countdown to create an overall “Top 500″… check it out here.
Tweet of the Week
Have a wonderful week!
3 Replies to “This Week in Live Music: January 20-26”
Mike Gordon is a low key rock star. Do yourself a favor and check’em out.
Noted, thanks David!
Thanks for sharing the 500 list! If I ever start downloading music – haha – I have my playlist! Awesome!