Well, September certainly went out like a Scorpions song.
And now it’s Rocktober! Let’s celebrate in style, by busting out a Rocktober rock block with two weeks o’ live shows.
Tonight, The Chicks play Riverbend, with Patty Griffin as the opener, and Sales plays Southgate.
On Wednesday, Parker Millsap is at Southgate with Ray Vietti as the opener, and A.J. Croce plays the songs of Jim Croce at Memorial Hall. (Looks like he found the time in a bottle that his dad was looking for.)
Thursday is action-packed:
- The Supersuckers and the Electric Six are at Southgate
- Madison Theater features An Evening with Robert Fripp & David Singleton
- Kitchen Dwellers and Daniel Donato play Ludlow Garage
Friday, Monophonics play the Madison Theater, and the Downtowne Listening Room features Steve Saunders and Olivia Frances.
- Blackberry Smoke plays Annie’s
- Neltner’s Farm Fall Fest features Pappy’s Jam Band (1:30-4:30 pm)
- Southgate hosts the Cincinnati Guitar Fest
- Ludlow Garage has Broken Arrow: The Music of Neil Young (sans the actual Neil Young, of course)
Next Sunday (10/9), Heather Roush & the Heartstrings play Neltner’s Farm.
On Monday, Oct. 10, Jon Spencer & the Hitmakers are at Southgate.
Norman Westberg of Swans plays Southgate on Tuesday, 10/11.
Calexico plays Memorial Hall on Wednesday, 10/12, with Ada Lea and Wonky Tonk as the openers.
BLINK festival kicks off in Cincinnati (and NKY!) on Thursday, 10/13. Live bands will be playing… but I’ll be damned if I can find a schedule on the Blink website. I DO know that The Airborne Toxic Event plays Bogart’s, the Lost Dog Street Band will be in Southgate’s main room and Cory Branan will be upstairs in the Revival Room.
On Friday, 10/14:
- Shame and Viagra Boys play a SOLD OUT show at the Woodward Theater
- Town Mountain is at Southgate
- The Toadies, Reverend Horton Heat and Nashville P*ssy are at Madison Theater.
Saturday, October 15th is a busy day for live gigs:
- Southern Culture on the Skids plays Southgate
- of Montreal plays the Woodward
- Ani DiFranco is at the Madison Theater
- Walk the Moon and Trombone Shorty play the Carol Brady
- The 5th Dimension floats into the Ludlow Garage
- The Licking Pike Ramblers are at Neltner’s Farm
Kurt Vile & the Violators are at the Jan Brady on Sunday, 10/16. That same day, Neltner’s Farm features Gabbard & Company, a bluegrass band fronted by my co-worker Chris Gabbard. And Ludlow Garage hosts The Ballroom Thieves… which also is a nickname for tight men’s underwear.
October 7th is a Bandcamp Friday
From the Bandcamp website: On the first Friday of the month since March of 2020, we’ve waived our revenue share to help support the many artists who have seen their livelihoods disrupted by the pandemic. Over the course of 21 days, fans have paid artists and labels more than $78 million dollars, helping cover rents, mortgages, groceries, medications, and much more. If you’re among the nearly 800,000 fans who have participated, thank you.
Raise a toast to Saint Joe Strummer
The new box set, Joe Strummer 002: The Mescaleros Years, came out recently. Here’s a promo video of one of the songs:
On our 97X Rumblings from the Big Bush podcast, Dave Tellmann and I talked to Chuck Cowdery, who worked at the 97X predecessor WOXR in the mid 70’s. Chuck is now “the dean of American whiskey journalism” which is proof (ha!) positive that working in radio will drive you to drink.
Album Cover of the Week
Album Cover of Next Week
Have a great fortnight!