December strikes another devastating blow to the hearts of Cincinnati music lovers, stealing Dan Hamilton of the Spookfloaters:
Kinda hard to go on with this silly little post now. But Dan loved music, and lived music. Next gig you go to, send some positive vibes to his family.
- Ian Noe plays Southgate
- Over The Rhine kicks off a three-day run at Memorial Hall (Sunday’s gig is a 4 p.m. matinee)
- Ricky Nye plays a free gig at The Orbit Room near Findlay Market
- Plush Machine and Fairmount Girls rock Northside Tavern
- Herman’s Hermits/Peter Noone have an Xmas show at Ludlow Garage
- The 1975 has a sold-out gig at the Marsha Brady
Saturday night, it’s the Big Show… the Royal Crescent Mob reunion show at Madison Theater. It’s a fundraiser for the Tri-State Cancer Research Fund. Dan “Danny Crash” Reed (97X, WVXU Nightwaves, WNKU, WXPN) will be spinning some old school funk to open up the gig. Hat tip to Jon Calderas for a great interview with David Ellison on CincyMusic.com. Nice to see some coverage in CityBeat and Cincinnati.com as well. Hope to see you there!
Other Saturday shows:
- Motherfolk plays “A very Motherfolk Christmas” at Bogart’s
- Afro-Man’s “Merry Spliff-mas” is at the old Annie’s
- Pam Tillis plays a holiday gig at Ludlow Garage
- Hard Rock Casino hosts “A Boy Band Christmas” with members of 98 Degrees (but not Nick Lachey… weird), O-Town and All-4-One, plus Ryan Cabrera.
I will Alvvays love you…
After Saturday’s shows, we hit the Xmas lull… not much on the ol’ Koncert Keeper until late in the month. You’ll have to tide yourself over with this great live in-studio set from Alvvays:
Speaking o’ live, Ryan Adams brought his A-game for his 35-song set at the Jan Brady.
We can still have fun on Twitter
Ranking albums is dumb
Steven Hyden has it right in his Favorite Albums of 2022 piece:
If you care to share your faves of the year, you can do so here.
He “Ken” rock you!
List member Ken “Music is my hobby” Laube now has an air shift at Inhailer Radio. Tune in (online, on the app or WGUC HD-3) to his “Welcome to the Weekend” show Fridays from 3-7 p.m.
Album Cover of the Week
He can’t rock you:
2 Replies to “Bah! Humbug!”
Crushing news about Dan Hamilton. Some of the best shows ever with the Spookfloaters. So very sorry! At one show, he brought up a young guitar student of his to play with them – it was great!
The Afro-man show at Annie’s reminds me of a time we went to visit Carol and Jim in Ft Lauderdale and Dad couldn’t wait for us to hear this “new song” on the jukebox – “And then I got high” – hilarious.
Thanks for sharing, Lisa. There are so many stories of Dan Hamilton’s kindness and positivity. May his spirit live on in the lives of all he brought joy to during his too-short time on earth.