Great news: our Presidents’ Day sale on subscriptions has been extended to the end of the month! It’s sorta like a BOGO (buy one, get one) sale. In the case of This Week in Live Music (an ill-fitting name due to my laziness), we’re having a GOGO sale – get one email and get obnoxiousness free!
Let’s get to the gigs while the getting is good…
Tonight, Silversun Pickups play Bogart’s, Faux Frenchmen play the Mansion Hill Sanctuary, and Rob Fetters teams up with his ol’ pal “Bad Bob” Nyswonger for a live stream available here.
Let’s talk Mohawks!
Uh, actually, it’s the old Cincinnati hockey team. List member and hockey-head Eric Weltner has created a movie about how the Cincinnati Mohawks dominated the IHL in the 1950s.
You can catch a screening of The Mohawk Monopoly tomorrow and Sunday at the Woodward Theater. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. and the movie starts at 1:30 p.m. both days. On Saturday, DJ Mr Keith McLenon from Detroit will be spinning tunes before and after the screening, and former players will in attendance.
Let’s talk Ludlow
Y’all need to check out the cool “Cabin Fever” music and arts festival going on in scenic Ludlow, KY tomorrow. Proceeds benefit Music Fund Cincinnati, which was started by list member and porch picker John Sandman – get tickets at the Music Fund website and learn more about what they do.
- Brainiac is at the Woodward
- 500 Miles to Memphis, Kentucky Struts, The Nightbeast and Backalley Brujas play Southgate
- a Black Sabbath tribute band plays Ludlow Garage and Bogart’s hosts an ABBA-inspired disco dance party. I hope the Sabbath fans and the ABBA fans show up at the Clifton Skyline after the gigs. It could go down like this:
Elle King plays the Marsha Brady on Tuesday. [Fun fact: Elle King is the daughter of former Saturday Night Live cast member Rob Schneider, who was barely funny when he was on the show (basically the male Victoria Jackson) and is almost totally humorless now.]
On Wednesday, Wishbone Ash plays Ludlow Garage. (Fun fact: Wishbone Ash is also the least popular salad dressing ever.)
- Beth Harris (of Hiders/Heartless Bastards) kicks off her March residency (every Thursday 8-11 p.m. – free!) at the Listing Loon in Northside, with special guest Ali Edwards (Ruby Vileos). The full list of March events at the Loon is here.
- Daniel Donato’s Cosmic Country sets up camp at Ludlow Garage
- Country superstar Carrie Underwood plays the Coliseum
Next Friday (3/3) :
- Red Wanting Blue plays Southgate, with Angela Perley as the opener
- Crash Test Dummies are at Ludlow Garage
- Colony House plays Bogart’s
- Taft Theatre hosts “The Fab Four – the Ultimate Beatles tribute”… don’t settle for “The So-So Four: the Mediocre Beatles tribute”… or these guys:
Gigs next Saturday (3/4):
- Matt Nathanson and Stephen Kellogg play Memorial Hall
- Ernie Johnson from Detroit plays Woodward, with Electric Citizen and the Harlequins
- Katie Toupin (formerly of Houndmouth) plays Southgate
- Highly Suspect headlines the 96Rock anniversary show at Ovation (anyone remember Bender & Fingers in the morning on 96Rock?)
- Speaking of radio stations, The Sklar Brothers bring their comedy to the Lawrenceburg Event Center. Check out this bit about a rock station in St. Louis:
On Sunday, March 5th, Skillet and Theory of a Deadman play the Alice Brady.
On Wednesday, March 8th:
- Taft has “An Evening with Dawes”
- Dylan LeBlanc and David Ramirez are at Southgate
Friday, March 10th shows:
- Bonnie “Prince” Billy is at the Woodward, with Planchette
- The Lemon Twigs play Southgate
- Michael Martin Murphey is at Ludlow Garage
On Saturday, 3/11, Southgate has a local band benefit show:
That same evening, the Ark Band (reggae) plays a Bob Marley tribute at Ludlow . That event is BYOS – bring your own spliff.
After the smoke clears from the Ark Band show, Nektar will play Ludlow on Sunday, 3/12. It’s a 50th anniversary show of their album Remember the Future… the title seems more fitting now.
Hot Tickets Alert!
Tickets on sale today for:
- Richard Thompson plays a solo acoustic show at the 20th Century Theater on Wednesday, May 10th. I already got my tix!
- Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit play a two-night stand at the Bobby Brady on April 28-29. Pro tip: buy at the Brady box office to save a boatload on fees – it’s open 11a-3p today.
- Tedeschi Trucks Band with Ziggy Marley at PNC on July 18
- Dwight Yoakam with the Mavericks at PNC on Aug. 4
- And for list member Dan “Reds single game tickets on sale now!” Lewis, who is a huge Debbie Gibson fan: she’s playing the Taft on 6/24.
New Order Order
The National’s new tune “New Order T-shirt” is strong:
And you can place a new order for a New Order t-shirt from The National:
Old (but good) News
At long last, John Fogerty got back the rights to his CCR songs. Here’s the article in Billboard from back in January.
“I’m the dad [of these songs]. I created them. They never should have been taken away in the first place. And that hijacking left such a massive hole in me.”John Fogerty
Alan Thicke writing and performing the theme song to Alex Trebek’s first American TV game show… a Canadian tag team nearly as good as Geddy Lee joining forces with Bob & Doug McKenzie.
Album Cover of the Week
Your humble scribe is often mistaken for this artist. List member Dan Lewis’ wife is always asking him “What’s the website that has the live music posts that Dick Feller wrote?”